I am looking forward to the amazing opportunity of serving as CEO of CIIED this academic year. Joining CIIED (then CEL) was the best decision I’ve ever made and it’s been a privilege to work in the last 3 years. I do share the optimism of CIIED’s bright future that our previous leaders had.
I would like to take this opportunity to explain further about CIIED and answer some questions…
BITS Pilani has set up “Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship Dubai” which will be an integrated structure for academic and incubation activities related to entrepreneurship at BITS Pilani.
It is abbreviated as CIIED for simple use as I agree the other name is too long.
It is pronounced: /see-eyed/
We have it in arabic too: مركز للإبداع، الحضانة وريادة الأعمال دبي
The mandate of CIIED includes facilitating technology transfer and commercialisation, executing filing of patents, custodian of intellectual property of BITS, supporting entrepreneurial academic activities. interfacing with technology business incubators of all campuses and fostering collaborations with alumni & industry for entrepreneurial activities.
So technically, we have opened our doors to all sorts of things which were restricted in CEL. Now we can support technical (more engineer like) initiatives too and more, along with business side.
CIIED will continue on the path laid by CEL. All CEL Leagues and events are transferred to CIIED. All CEL Members are now CIIED Members.
Don’t worry about a thing, we still will continue our entrepreneurial activities, as we promised.
CIIED now features 4 distinctive Leagues which will serve as backbone:
- Innovator: All facilitating of technology transfer and commercialisation, executing filing of patents, custodian of intellectual property of BITS, will be handled via the Innovator League.
- Incubator: We are trying day and night to set-up our very own incubation centre in BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus and this Leagues will take care of that.
- Entrepreneur: Well, this is what everything CEL stood for. All interactive talk sessions and related entrepreneurial workshops and events will be handled by this League.
- Austausch: We would like to bring the focus on financial based activities like stock-market, investment banking and more. This league will also take responsibility to host the flagship event “The Wolf of WallStreet”
There will be more leagues will be formed in future. You are still very welcome to start your own.
The talk to establish CIIED has been going on since beginning of June 2016, but we never could actually bring it to momentum.
From December 1, 2015, CIIED is finally put into motion.
We just set-up a new website and it’s pretty cool. WWW.CIIED.XYZ
This shall serve as the new home for CIIED, including all it’s Leagues and Events.
It has some cool features:
- Blog: It maintains a record of every CIIED event and news updates. You can subscribe to the feed by clicking here.
- Wiki: We have elaborate encyclopaedia about CIIED so that every information is provided in best manner. Including information about notable CIIED members.
- Legal: The bylaws are more accessible and available now. We have updated wiki to display the bylaws so you can keep track of all the changes and revisions. Click here for Bylaws.
It doesn’t necessarily end here, if you have some suggestions, we just might incorporate them.
It’s the members that make up CIIED. We would need your constant support and inputs to get things done.
CIIED Board will have 4 posts:
- CEO – Siddhant Gupta
- COO – Apoorv Pratap Singh
- CFO – Swetha Sivakumar
- CLO – Ruby Bansal
As per complete Board in considered, Leaders of all CIIED Leagues will be a part of the Board.
The Faculty-Incharge for CIIED is Dr. A. Srinivasa Rao, HOD, Humanities & Social Sciences, BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus
I am looking forward to diving into my new role. I am confident our best time lie ahead of us and that together we will continue to make CEL the amazing association that it is.