The following are CIIED Bylaws which binds all CIIED members and govern all CIIED internal functionality.
The current set of bylaws were drafted by Siddhant Gupta (CEO 2015-2016).
- 1 01 General
- 2 02 Name & Objective
- 3 03 Membership
- 4 04 CIIED Board
- 5 05 Duties of Officers
- 6 06 Leagues
- 7 07 Advisor
- 8 08 Meetings
- 9 09 Discipline
- 10 10 Amendments
The Bylaws provide rules and procedures to be followed by the Centre in its day-to-day governance and is intended to apply to the most common events. Relevant provisions of the Constitution of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus have been incorporated where applicable. However, the Bylaws are not in itself a complete codification of the provisions of the act and other laws applicable to the corporation. Many applicable provisions of the act and the law have not been duplicated in the bylaws and reference to both should be made to ensure that all relevant legal requirements have been complied with. In all cases you should obtain advice from a qualified person on both the appropriate matters to be contained in the bylaws and its interpretation. The Bylaws are divided into Articles, represented by numerals (01, 02, 03…) and further divided into Sections, represented by alphabets (A, B, C…). If a Section is any further divided into sub-categories, it is represented by bullets and these sub-categories are not included in the Table of Content. A section of a particular article can refer to another section of the same article by using “this.#”, where ‘#’ is the referred section alphabet.
When used in this Agreement with initial letters capitalised, the following terms have the following meanings:
- “Centre”: “Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship - Dubai (CIIED)”;
- “Board": the CIIED Board, the top executive committee;
- “Bylaws": this bylaws (including the schedules to this bylaws) and all other bylaws of the Centre as amended and which are, from time to time, in force;
- “Provision”: any article, section or sub-category in this Bylaws.
- “Member(s)”: an enrolled member(s) of the Centre;
- “Officer": a member who holds a position in the Board.
- “Constitution”: the Constitution of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus
This Centre affiliates to Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani and is situated in BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus, Dubai International Academic City, Dubai, U.A.E. The Centre is established as an Association under the Constitution.
Other than as specified in Section this.B, all terms contained in this bylaws shall have the meaning given to such terms as defined in the constitution. Words importing the singular include the plural and vice versa, and words importing one gender include all genders unless specified.
The invalidity or un-enforceability of any provision shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions. If any of the provisions contained in the Bylaws are inconsistent with those contained in the Constitution, the provisions contained in the Constitution, as the case may be, shall prevail.
Upon the dissolution of the Centre, its governing body shall, after paying or making provisions for the payment of all of the liabilities of the Centre, dispose of all the assets of the Centre exclusively for the exempt purposes of the Centre in such manner, or to such organisation(s) organised and operated exclusively for charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes, as the Centre’s governing body shall determine. Any assets not so distributed shall be distributed by a court of competent jurisdiction of the Institution in which the CIIE’s principal office is then located exclusively for the Centre’s exempt purposes. The use of any surplus funds for personal use by any person in the event of a sale of the assets or dissolution of the Centre is expressly prohibited.
02 Name & Objective
The name of this Centre shall be “Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship Dubai”. The name can be abbreviated as “CIIED”, which shall be pronounced as /see-eyed/.
Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship (CIIE) is set up in the Institute to be an integral structure for academic, innovative and incubation activities related to entrepreneurship at BITS Pilani. The mandate of CIIE includes, but is not limited to, facilitating technology transfer and commercialisation, executing filing of patents, custodial of intellectual property of BITS, supporting entrepreneurial academic activities, interfacing with technology business incubators and fostering collaborations with alumni and industry for entrepreneurial activities.
The Centre shall adhere to mentioned branding guidelines:
- Font: “Lato" for normal print and web use. If "Lato" font is unavailable, "Helvetica” font shall be used instead. For heading purpose, use the font: BlairMdITC (desktop font, web font).
- Logo: “CIIED” written using a stylised version of font "BlairMdITC". The colour of logo can range among shades of grey including black and white.
- If the logo is to be placed as a heading, It shall be followed by name, Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship - Dubai. Arabic Translation: مركز للإبداع، الحضانة وريادة الأعمال دبي
- Monogram: Logo without any other text shall serve as monogram.
- Motto: “Discover and Nurture the Entrepreneur in You”
All varieties of logos are abatable at CIIED MemberSpace].
D: Website & Social Media
For all its official purposes, the Centre shall manage:
|E-mail address|| firstname.lastname@example.org|
|LinkedIn Company Page||www.linkedin.com/company/10330212|
Blog shall be used as Press-release platform for CIIED. All CIIED update and Event reports will be published to the blog for public access and record maintaining.Blog Posts will contain articles, activities and accomplishments of CIIED, including but not limited to news updates like CIIED Board, Winners of Mantra Award and a message from CEO, etc. CEO will be responsible for the content published on the Blog.
Wiki shall be used to update static data about the association, including but not limited to information about leagues and events, notable members and other public-distributed information regarding CIIED. CEO will be responsible for the content published on the Wiki.
No part of the net earnings of the Centre shall insure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, its officers, members, or other private persons, except that Centre shall be authorised and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of its exempt purposes. No substantial part of the activities of the Centre shall consist of carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation. The Centre shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the Centre shall not carry on any activities not permitted to be carried by the laws laid by the government of United Arab Emirates.
All full-time students (pursuing bachelors degree) currently enrolled in any discipline at BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus are eligible to be a member of the Centre.
- Pay the One-TIme Membership Fee as outlined in Section this.C, and receive Payment Receipt from Accounts Dept. Store the Receipt safely for future reference.
- Visit online Member Space and click on REGISTRATION button :: Member
- Fill in the appropriate details including the Fee Receipt Number, print on Receipt received from BITS Account Dept.
- Once form is submitted and e-mail is confirmed, the student details will be added to the CIIED Mailing List and hence, the student will become a CIIED Member.
C: Membership Fee
The membership fee shall be a sum of AED 10. The fees shall be submitted to the Accounts Department of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus under the Account name: “CIIED” or “Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship - Dubai”.
- A member can add “CIIED Member” as a Certification on LinkedIn via the link available at CIIED Member-Space. An Officer or Leader can add their respective position on LinkedIn under Experience.
- PDF (printable) form of certification can be retrieved from CIIED Member-Space.
E: Responsibilities & Privileges
- Voting: Each member is entitled to one vote in a meeting and compose as a quorum of the meeting.
- Privileges: Each member shall be entitled to all services of the Centre.
- Participation: Each member shall be entitled to participate in all organisational events.
- Leading: Only Members will be allowed to create/lead CIIED Leagues and be given special recognition for the same.
- Responsibilities: Each member shall abide by these Bylaws and if elected as an Officer, shall also abide by the Duties of respective officer (outlined in Article 06).
A member may terminate his/her membership at any time by unsubscribing to the CIIED Member Mailing List. If a member is involved in any CIIED procedure(s) or hold office, the member is legally obligated to hand over everything related to CIIED (like materials, data, etc.) to CEO or COO with an proper explanation about the working of all materials.
CIIED Member-Space is available online, visit: www.ciied.xyz/member/
04 CIIED Board
The Board will have 4 officers. The officers (respective duties are mentioned in Article 05) shall be Chief Executive Officer (CEO); Chief Operating Officer (COO); Chief Legal Officer (CLO); and Chief Financial Officer (CFO). League Leader(s) will be part of the Board for respective League’s Term of Establishment.
An Officer must be a CIIED Member. He/she must not be under the purview of Academic Counselling Board (ACB) or facing charges by Disciplinary Committee of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus. CIIED shall also adhere to any eligibility restriction enforced by Constitution, though may not object if the restriction is waived by authority in any special case. One Member can hold only One C-suite Position in Board.
The Board shall have at least one current Faculty of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus to act as an Advisor and Faculty In-Charge (FIC) to the Centre. Advisor’s duties and responsibilities are outlined in Article 07.
D: Officers for New Term
The new CEO shall be appointed by the last active CEO of CIIED in consultation with FIC. The rest of the officers will be appointed by the new CEO as per Bylaws and his/her discretion. The CEO may conduct interviews or meetings to decide the office bearers.
E: Term of Office
The officers shall serve for one academic year and their term of office shall begin at the commencement of the 1st semester (Fall semester) of the Academic Year. At the end of a Term, all Office Bearers will be awarded with a certificate signed by FIC and/or Director, BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus (if available).
In case of any vacancy in office, CEO may appoint/elect a new officer. If position of CEO is vacant, then COO will act as interim CEO until a new CEO is appointed or COO is officially promoted as the new CEO.
CEO reserves the right to remove any Officer with a prior notice and proper reasoning. Only FIC reserves the right to remove CEO from the office. FIC shall reserve the VETO powers in case of an officer’s expulsion.
An officer may tender a resignation to the CEO or FIC after finding his/her suitable replacement. The resigning Officer will be obligated to hand over everything related to CIIED (like material, data, etc.) to the next appointed officer or CEO/COO (if no officer is appointed in time) with an explanation about the working of all materials.
The Board may seek advise from ex-Board members. CIIED website shall feature a name-card for all Ex-CEOs, including formal list of ex-Board.
CIIED Board (current and ex.) available online, visit: www.ciied.xyz/board/
05 Duties of Officers
A: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Direct all initiatives of CIIED including CIIED Leagues and preside the CIIED Board.
- Be responsible for starting new industry and alumni collaborations and tie-ups with CIIED.
- Be the deciding authority in any dispute within CIIED.
- Be responsible for all CIE Leagues and take initiative to identify and create new Leagues.
- Keep the Bylaws updated and inform members about amendments.
- Manage CIIED Blog and publish all CIIED updates and press release including all CIIED events.
- Be solely responsible for CIIED email ID and the LinkedIn Company page.
- Co-manage all content offline and online on social media including CIIED Facebook, Twitter and YouTube account.
B: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Report directly to CEO.
- Be on par with the CEO in carrying out any task and shall act as interim CEO in his/her absentia.
- Manage all CIIED Internal disputes and operations.
- Will be responsible to encourage students to become CIIED members, and conduct any workshop, seminar or session to do so. Be responsible for experience and discipline of CIIED members.
- Co-manage all content offline and online on social media including CIIED Facebook, Twitter and YouTube account.
- Will draft CIIED certificates and get it signed by Faculty In-Charge.
C: Chief Legal Officer (CLO)
- Report directly to CEO.
- In-charge for all legal communications for CIIED.
- Responsible for delivering any/all NOTICE(s) to CIIED Board and members (if necessary) when and if required.
- Responsible for distributing any and all CIIED issued certificates.
- Responsible for overseeing the taking of minutes at all board meetings and maintain all Centre’s records.
- May delegate any of the task related to Student Council of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus and be the point-of-contact for the CEO in any such affairs.
- Maintain a live record of all CIIED members and related information.
- Responsible for covering all CIIED events and submitting/maintaining a memo/article and corresponding photographs for record. Can co-relate with BPDC Photography/Design/Literary Club for the same. Same will be submitted to CEO to update Blog.
D: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Report directly to CEO.
- Be the key signatory in any financial decision for CIIED. Shall get all formal memo signed from FIC and submit to BITS accounts department or vice-versa.
- Maintain and audit all CIIED expenses, including all CIIED Leagues, in the forms of bills/invoice.
- Plan budget along with the CIIED board for the academic year.
- Create new Fund Raising Initiatives for CIIED.
A CIIED League is equivalent to a student-based club, where a group of CIIED members can function autonomously with a specific purpose in focus. The League can have its own name and guidelines which do not negate the CIIED Bylaws. The League will be headed by a Leader (or Co-Leads, if one more one leader) and he/she/they will act as point-of-contact for the League.
A CIIED member can propose a new League under CIIED whose objectives are exclusive from existing Leagues. This shall be presented as a formal proposal which shall include Name of the League The name with the word “CIIED” and/or “League” in it would be preferred but is not compulsory.
- Purpose of the League : A general/overall aim of the League.
- Objectives of the League: What all the League wishes to do or goals of the League.
- Name and details (College ID, contact info, etc) of the Proposers: The CIIED members who are proposing the League.
- Term of Establishment: Duration for which the League will be active under proposed Leadership.
- Special Request/Regulations/Requirement: Any specific point, the proposers would like to change apart from the basic points mentioned is the Bylaws/MoA.
Approval of the proposal depends upon the discretion of the Board based on the need and feasibility of such as proposed. Upon approval, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) will be drafted and signed between Faculty In-charge of CIIED and League Leader(s). Once a League is formed, CIIED shall reserve all the rights to it and Leader(s) cannot transfer the same without the approval of CIIED Board.
D: Terms & Conditions
- All members of a League shall be registered CIIED members and hence, shall abide CIIED Bylaws and shall be answerable to CIIED Board and Faculty-In-Charge of CIIED.
- Proposer(s) will be named the Leader (or Co-Leaders, if more than one). The Leader (Co-Leader) will act as the point of contact between the League and CIIED. There will be no Office Bearer other than Leader(s) in the League.
- There shall be no additional Fee or charge for a CIIED member to join the League.
- Once a League is formed, CIIED shall reserve all the rights to it and Leader(s) cannot transfer the same without the approval of CIIED Board.
- The League will be autonomous in its day-to-day functioning but will regularly report, including a summary of all hosted events, to CIIED (Chief Executive Officer or Chief Operating Officer) with updates.
- All posts, posters and publications related to the League shall the display the CIIED logo and has to be consulted with CIIED before posting for branding purposes. (fonts and logos available at www.ciied.xyz/member/)
- This League will be listed on homepage of CIIED website and will be given a customised webpage on the website (if required).
- For social promotion, a new “Facebook page” can be created with proper CIIED branding (if applicable), which will administered by the League Leader(s). The same applies for all other social-media websites. No other Facebook or Web-page shall be created/administered unless approved by the Board.
- League’s official Web-Page will be (www.ciied.xyz/LeagueName/), which can be linked to custom page on website or an external link.
- Conjure (CIIED Blog) reserve the right to publish all updates regarding a League. A report on events hosted by a League will be published on Conjure.
- Leaders of the League will receive a “Certificate of Recognition” by CIIED at the end of League’s Term of Establishment.
- Additional “Certificate of Recognition” will only be awarded to CIIED Members who contribute to League.
- League’s actions should not cause CIIED name or Centre any sort of damage. Doing so, may lead to immediate dissolution or fine or both. Some actions may lead to disciplinary issues (See Article 09 of CIIED Bylaws).
- League is a Not-for-profit establishment and hence won’t be allowed to keep any profits made after settling all accounts with CIIED and other parties. If the League is dissolved, League’s fund will be directly transferred to CIIED.
- Leader(s) of a League will be part of the Board for the League’s Term of establishment. League Leader will be given voting rights if and when decisions related to the specific league are being made. Their presence will be counted in quorum.
- The Leader(s) can also call a Special Meeting when necessary with prior Notice and CEO’s approval.
E: Ending/Pausing a League
If no one re-initiates the League after it’s Term of Establishment is over, the League will automatically be considered Paused or in Hold stage. Unless in the stipulated period of time, no one takes responsibility for the League, then the League shall be dissolved. Upon the dissolution of the League, its governing body shall, after paying or making provisions for the payment of all of the liabilities of the League, dispose of all the assets in such manner as the CIIED Board shall determine. Any assets not so distributed shall be distributed by a court of competent jurisdiction. The use of any surplus funds for personal use by any person in the event of a sale of the assets or dissolution of the League is expressly prohibited (unless explicitly mentioned in the Memorandum of Agreement).
The League shall abide to these bylaws under all conditions. (See Article 9 for disciplinary issues.)
There shall be at least one faculty in-charge to be designated by BITS Pilani Management.
The Faculty In-Charge can appoint one or more Co-Faculty to assist and ensure smooth functioning of the Centre.
The responsibilities of the faculty in-charge shall be to:
- Maintain an awareness of the activities and programs sponsored by the Student Council.
- Meet on a regular basis with the CEO of the Centre to discuss upcoming meetings, long range plans, goals, and problems of the Centre.
- Attend regular meetings, board meetings as far as possible, based on convenience.
- Assist in the orientation of new officers.
- Explain and clarify campus policy and procedures that apply to the Centre.
- Maintain contact with the Student Welfare Division of Institute.
- Provide direction in the area of parliamentary procedure, meeting facilitation, group-building, goal setting, and program planning.
- Assist the Centre’s CFO in monitoring expenditures, fundraising activities, and corporate sponsorship to maintain an accurate and up-to-date account ledger.
- Inform Centre members of those factors that constitute unacceptable behaviour on the part of the Centre members, and the possible consequence of said behaviours.
A: General Meeting
Regular meetings shall be held on monthly basis during a regular semester. This meeting can be presided by CEO or COO.
B: Special Meeting
CEO can call for a special meeting as per his/her discretion. A League Leader or Event Coordinator can also call a Special Meeting when necessary with prior Notice and CEO’s approval.
C: Annual Meeting
An annual meeting of all the members (including newly recruited members) shall take place in the last week of September, the specific date, time and location of which will be decided by the CEO. At the annual meeting the members shall receive reports on the activities of the Centre, and determine the direction of the association for the coming year.
Electronic notice of General meeting shall be given to each voting member, by e-mail, not less than a week prior to the meeting.
One-third of C-level officers (incl. CEO) for a General Meeting. The members present at any properly announced meeting shall constitute a quorum.
All issues to be voted on shall be decided by a simple majority of those present at the meeting in which the voting takes place.�
This Centre shall comply with all University regulations of BITS Pilani, Dubai Campus and federal laws of the government of United Arab Emirates.
B: Anti-Hazing Policy
Hazing is strictly prohibited. Hazing shall be defined as any conduct which subjects another person, whether physically, mentally, emotionally, or psychologically, to anything that may abuse, degrade, or intimidate the person as a condition of association with a group or organisation, regardless of the person's consent or lack of consent.
Participation in the Centre must be without regard to arbitrary consideration of such characteristics as age, sex, colour, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
An individual member may prefer charges against another individual member for alleged misconduct prejudicial to the best interests of the Centre. Written charges with documentary evidence must be filed in duplicate with the CLO, which shall be forfeited if such charges are not sustained by the board following a hearing. The CLO shall promptly send a copy of the charges to each member of the board or present them at a board meeting, and the board shall first consider whether the actions alleged in the charges, if proven, might constitute prejudicial to the best interests of the Centre. If the board considers that the charges do not allege conduct which would be prejudicial to the best interests of the Centre, it may refuse to entertain jurisdiction. If the board entertains jurisdiction of the charges, it shall fix a date for a hearing by the board within two weeks time. The CLO shall promptly send one copy of the charges with proof of evidence to the accused member by registered mail together with a notice of the hearing and an assurance that the defendant may personally appear in his own defence and bring witnesses if he/she wishes.
E: Board Hearing
The CIIED Board shall have complete authority to decide whether counsel may attend the hearing, but both complainant and defendant shall be treated uniformly in that regard. Should the charges be sustained after hearing all the evidence and testimony presented by complainant and defendant, the board may by a majority vote of those present reprimand or suspend the defendant from all privileges of the Centre for not more than six months from the date of the hearing. And, if it deems that punishment is insufficient, it may also recommend to the membership that the penalty be expulsion. In such case, the suspension shall not restrict the defendant’s right to appear before his fellow members at the ensuing Centre meeting which considers the board’s recommendation. Immediately after the board has reached a decision, its finding shall be put in written form and filed with the CLO. The CLO, in turn, shall notify each of the parties of the board’s decision and penalty, if any.
Expulsion of a member from the Centre may be accomplished only at a meeting of the Centre following a board hearing and upon the board’s recommendation. Such proceedings will occur at a special meeting of the Centre to be held within 15 days but not earlier than 4 days after the date of the board’s recommendation of expulsion. The defendant shall have the privilege of appearing in his/her own behalf, though no evidence shall be taken at this meeting. The CEO shall read the charges and the board’s finding and recommendation, and shall invite the defendant, if present, to speak in his/her own behalf if he/she wishes. The members shall then vote by secret ballot on the proposed expulsion. A 2⁄3 vote of those present and voting at the meeting shall be necessary for expulsion. If expulsion is not so voted, the board’s suspension shall stand. FIC and CEO shall reserve the right for VETO and shall exercise at their discretion. (CEO cannot exercise his/her VETO rights if he/she is under consideration by Board).
These bylaws may be amended, repealed, or added to, and new bylaws not inconsistent with the purposes described in the current Bylaws except as provided in Section this.B. These bylaws may be amended/modified by a half (1/2) of majority votes of the Board members.
These bylaws shall not be altered or amended in such manner as to permit any member, officer, or Faculty In-charge of the Centre to receive profit from the operations of this Centre, except for reasonable compensation for services actually rendered to the Centre in effecting one or more of its purposes, or to receive any part of the property or assets of the Centre upon its dissolution or termination, or to permit any substantial part of the activities of the Centre to consist of attempting to influence legislation, or of engaging in any political campaign for or against a candidate for public office.
Adoption of the new edition of Bylaws on the date drafted simultaneously repeals all previously adopted Bylaws.
When bylaws are to be amended, repealed, or added to, or new bylaws are to be adopted, all Board members shall receive advance notice of the notion at least two days before the meeting. A notice shall be delivered to all enrolled members of the Centre within two days after the proposed notion have been passed.